top of page
Image by Joe Woods

Animal Health Certificates


Travelling to Europe and beyond.

Disclaimer: all details are correct at the time of writing. Owners are responsible for checking the most recent Government advice before attempting to travel with pets. 

You may be interested in looking for ways to take your pet on your travels to the European Union.  In order to do so, you need to acquire an Animal Health Certificate, these have replaced UK Pet Passports.

Do I need an Animal Health Certificate? 

You need to acquire an Animal Health Certificate for your pet if you are travelling from Great Britain to the EU. An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) is required by law to ensure that diseases such as rabies do not spread. For countries outside of the EU, you would need an Export Health Certificate (EHC). 

Animal Health Certificates are documents required if you wish to take your dog, cat or ferret to a country within the EU or Northern Ireland. The Animal Health Certificate must be completed and certified by a veterinarian that has been approved by the APHA (Animal and Plant Health Agency), within 10 days of travel outside of Great Britain. 

Is an AHC the same as a Pet Passport? 

The Animal Health Certificate is not the same as the Pet Passport. The main difference between the two is the length of time that they remain valid for. Pet Passports are valid for as long as you keep them up to date with relevant vaccinations. However, an Animal Health Certificate is only valid for one trip to the EU, therefore you would need a new certificate each time you travel. Whilst the Animal Health Certificate is valid for travel inside the EU for upto 4 months a new AHC would be required if you exit the EU at any point during your trip


Issuing AHCs

At Stone Court Vets all three of our vets are authorised to issue AHCs as well as EHCs non EU countries and we offer this service to our clients.

For non registered clients please get in touch to see if we can help.

bottom of page